The UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) Civil Services Examinations are one of the most prestigious and toughest exams in the world. Every year, more than 8 lakh aspirants apply for this exam, but only a few hundred of them clear it and become civil servants. The UPSC has a very vast syllabus, which makes it even more challenging. It might seem impossible to crack, but with regular practice, the utmost dedication, and a few effective tips on how to do your preparation, you can crack the civil service exam and achieve your dream of becoming a civil servant.
- Prepare yourself: The most important step before attempting one of the toughest exams in the world is to mentally prepare yourself for the journey. You have to be mentally and physically ready for the exam. The most effective way is to set a definite goal and devote your time and energy to achieving it.
- Know the UPSC syllabus: You should always start by thoroughly examining and understanding the whole syllabus. You should also learn about the pattern of the questions and of the exam in general. This will give you an idea of how much time you need for the preparations and how much time you need to dedicate every day to your studies to finish the whole syllabus within the time frame you have decided. Knowing the syllabus will also help you choose the relevant study materials and prioritise this subject, which you are weak in.
- Make a timetable: A good time management skill can prove very beneficial for you during your UPSC preparations, and the most effective way to manage your time is to make a timetable. It is very important to have a well-organized daily routine. Making a timetable will ease your preparation and make it more streamlined. And if you set deadlines for yourself, you would be able to work better and complete the syllabus faster.
- Keep an eye on the current news and affairs: Current affairs is the most important part of the civil service exam. It is a vast area comprising events of national and international importance, multilateral developments, sports, and personalities in various fields, along with prizes, awards, and honours. The weightage of current affairs in the UPSC exams is increasing every year. So, if you read the newspaper every day and follow the news diligently, your chances of clearing the exams are much higher, as most of the questions asked in the civil service exam are directly or indirectly connected to current affairs.
- Carefully choose the optional subject: Choosing the correct optional subject for clearing this exam is very important. You should choose your optional very carefully, taking into account your educational background and how interesting the subject is. You should also check out the syllabus and the resources and study materials available for that particular subject before finalizing it. The optional subject accounts for 500 marks in the UPSC final tally, and therefore, you should choose the optional subject wisely and after thorough research about the pros and cons of the subject you are thinking of choosing.
- NCERT books and syllabus: The NCERT textbooks from classes 6–12 play a very important role in the preparation for the civil services exam. These books provide the information very coherently and are very reliable as the source is the government itself.
Additional tips to follow include:
- Make notes diligently.
- Practice writing the answers.
- Solve previous year’s UPSC question papers.
- Attend as many mock series as possible.
- Go for online coaching.
By following these steps and tips, you will be well on your way to preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Examination and achieving your goal of becoming a civil servant.
Creating next gen of professionals & entrepreneurs. Magazine educates & inspires today's generation to become tomorrow's icons. Career Ahead is ultimate tool & resource for young students, entrepreneurs & startups.